[mythtv-users] command line access to MythTV

Fernando Botelho myth.users.list at f123.org
Mon Oct 4 16:42:47 EDT 2004

Hi everyone:

Here's an unusual question for you (explanation follows): Can I have access
to all MythTV features through the command line?

Apologies to the pros in advance for the basic question.

Explanation: I am blind, have never used Linux, and I would like to build
myself over the next many months a working talking MythTV box.

Many blind guys use Linux because of its command line access to everything,
but I know the various GUI interfaces (KDE etc) are not yet very accessible
to the blind and want to make sure that MythTV does not depend on me using
one of those. I'll leave the GUI interface for my wife to use and I'd like
to have the command line route if that's even an option.

I am tired of not having full access to the commands available to everyone
else on TVs and stereos because companies have no interest in offering
accessible products. I have also been looking for a good excuse to jump into
Linux and this could be it.

I am very early in the process of figuring this out so I wanted to ask this
most basic of questions before moving forward. Don't worry about the
blindness-related challenges of opening up computers, making linux talk, and
so forth; that won't be a problem.

Thanks,

Fernando