[mythtv-users] Group advice sought on setup please.

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Mon Oct 4 13:35:43 EDT 2004

Chris Flynn had a bunch of good stuff to say, so I will just add in a few
comments.

On Monday 04 October 2004 11:59 am, mark at onnow.net wrote:
> 2) How many TV cards?  Record and watch a different channel would be great.
>  So two?  Two 350's?

This will entirely depend on everything else you do.   Like Chris I don't use
it for live TV much anymore, so for me this is not an issue.  As a side note,
with the 350 I can record something while I watch something else I recorded.
Its not the same, but its cool.  As for conflicting recordings - one of the
best parts of myth is the ability to self reschedule if something is in
conflict (aka "This show is on again later, I'll record it then and record
this other one now")

> 3) S-Video.  Should I use the S-Video on the PVR-350?  Or get a graphics
> card with TV-OUT too? I want to be able to watch DVD's on this too if that
> makes a difference.  Can I watch a DVD on this box using the S-Video out on
> a PRV-350? I have read some that say not.

Moving non-PVR recorded video out of the PVR is not that great of a thing,
which is probably the biggest sticking point.  If your going to play DVD's,
then go with a TV-OUT from somewhere.  I tried it once and now just use my
DVD player for that.

> 4) What processor speed do I need?  I want great performance.

Depends on the card you get.  Get hardware encoding and decoding and your
processor will barely break a sweat.  I had it in a 2.4, but ended up moving
it into a P3-800 and I can still watch and record at the same time.

> Once I am done, I am going to write up a how to and make sure that it is
> idiot-proof and includes an easy working method including hardware
> etc...... This product is looking great so I would like to promote it's use
> with a how-to.

Consider contributing to one of the existing how-to's or the Mythtv
documentation itself for some things.

Good luck - its sometimes trying to get working, but once its going it is
fantastic!

> Thank you again.
>
> Mark

Bill Chmura