[mythtv-users] GUI width/GUI offset broken in 0.16?

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 3 15:08:53 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I decided to enable the TV-Out on my PVR-350 (using
FC2/Jarod's guide), and I have to say that the picture
quality is truly excellent!  Better than S-Video on my
GeForce 440MX, better than a scan converter (VGA to
NTSC) on a Matrox, ATI or GeForce 440MX, and better
than even S-Video on a Matrox G400!  The thing that
annoyed me about all of those combinations is the
jerkiness that they produced - for a good example,
watch CNN, or MSNBC (or any other scrolling ticker for
that matter) and notice how they jitter every now and
then (though quite frequently on my setup).  On the
PVR-350, it is perfectly smooth, indistinguishable
from what the TV shows.  DVD playback is fairly smooth
(although Xine does drop some frames, but I can't
really notice it), and I can even play XMame in a
window (although with about 50-60% CPU load).

Now then, since I've decided that I really can't live
without the high quality of the PVR-350 TV-Out (I'm
completely blown away by it), I have to figure out two
things:
1. How to play XMame in something resembling
full-screen (I can play it in a window, but can't seem
to adjust the size) with ivtvdev
2. How to change the GUI size of the MythTV GUI so
that  the menus are fully on the screen, and the OSD
isn't chopped off.

Issue 1 is not likely going to happen anytime soon, is
likely quite complex, and not really a MythTV issue
(it's an IVTV thing), so I won't mention it any
farther (although if anybody has any suggestions, they
are more than welcome).  Issue 2 is definitely a
MythTV problem.

I have scoured the mailing list, and seen other
references to the GUI width/position issue.  It just
seems to be broken from 0.14 on.  The GUI width/height
can be set, but the offsets don't work, so regardless
of what size I set my GUI to, the top/left is always
chopped off.

I have tried positive values and negative values, and
also tried selecting and deselecting "Use GUI size for
TV playback", as well as, "Run the frontend in a
window".  Nothing seems to work, the top/left is
always chopped off.

Does somebody have a sure-fire way of getting this to
work (even if it means going to CVS)?  Or is it just
broken, and I should cope with it until I get the free
time from work to try to fix the code myself (which
will be at least a few weeks)?

-- Joe