[mythtv-users] Checking Tuner Type

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Oct 2 02:21:52 EDT 2004

On 09/25/2004 01:49 PM, Verteiler wrote:

> Maybe I have the incorrect tuner set for my two Hauppauge cards (250
> and 350).

You don't.

> I have tried different PCI slots, so there is no problem and I get the
> same problems using either input.

However, you have two completely different tuners (Philips PAL_BG
(FI1216 and compatibles) and Temic PAL_BG (4006FH5)), so if they're both
acting the same way, it's most likely the input signal or your
modprobe.conf settings.

Make sure the only two lines in modprobe.conf are:

# ivtv modules setup
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv

> ivtv: Tuner Type 5, Tuner formats 0x00000007, Radio: yes, Model
> 0x00a51491, Revision 0x00000001
> ivtv: Setting Tuner 5
> tuner: type set to 5 (Philips PAL_BG (FI1216 and compatibles)) by ivtv
> i2c driver #0
> ivtv: Tuner Type 14, Tuner formats 0x00000007, Radio: yes, Model
> 0x00891499, Revision 0x00000000
> ivtv: Setting Tuner 14
> tuner: type set to 14 (Temic PAL_BG (4006FH5)) by ivtv i2c driver #1

The right tuner types...

> As you see I am using the ck111u version of the ivtv driver, but I
> have tried the 105 driver as well - resulting in the same issues. When
> I tried to find out the tuners using /sbin/modprobe tveeprom and then
> tail -50 /var/log/dmesg | grep tveeprom I do not get anything.

You currently have a debug option specified for ivtv.  It's preventing
tveeprom output from showing during normal module loading.  Therefore,
fix your modprobe.conf as above, and you should see the tveeprom info in
/var/log/messages.  I don't know why you're not finding the information
on a manual load of tveeprom, but I would guess that the tveeprom module
is failing to load (i.e. maybe you didn't have ivtv loaded at the time...).

Easiest fix is to fix your modprobe.conf.  See Jarod Wilson's HOWTO
(specifically, the part on capture card configuration) for more info.
Even if you're not using Fedora Core 2, the info still applies.

Mike