[mythtv-users] 21" monitor in place of TV?

Milos Prudek prudek at bvx.cz
Fri Oct 1 13:15:09 EDT 2004

Hi community,

Is it reasonable to build MythTV with a 21" monitor instead of TV, with
regard to ambient light during a sunny day ?

I was thinking about buying a used 21" monitor, which would enable me to
run regular programs in our living room, not just MythTV.

So I did a little test. I placed my 17" inch, 4 year old monitor side by
side with a small, 15-year old (!!) TV, and it was a shock! While my 17"
monitor has a way sharper, crisper image than my TV, it was no use.
Horrible glare and reflections destroyed the whole image.

I posted three photos here:

http://www.spoxdesign.com/pict4528-700.jpg
http://www.spoxdesign.com/pict4529-700.jpg
http://www.spoxdesign.com/pict4530-700.jpg

  I never noticed this difference before, simply because my monitor is
installed in a much darker room than the TV.

Are all TV screens much brighter than computer monitors in general?

Does anyone run a 21" monitor with MythTV and is happy with the results?

--
Milos Prudek