[mythtv-users] Problem with remote backend

Dave Anderson dave at ineedasite.com
Tue Nov 30 23:50:48 UTC 2004

Having a little problem and I wanted some opinions. I have a Myth system
currently running and working great. However, I wanted to be able to record
2 shows at once.

The main system is a PIII 650 with 512M Ram, Nvidia 128M AGP and a PVR-350.
It is running Redhat 9. I have it hooked to the TV via a VGA to NTCS box as
the tv-out on the pvr350 was giving me too many headaches.

I have an extra Pinnicle Pro card but thought the small processor in the
main system would not be able to handle it since it would need software
decoding. So I had a spare computer and thought I would try setting it up
as a remote backend just for recording.

The remote box is a PIII 700 with 128M Ram. I added an ATI Readon 9800 with
128M. It's running Fedora Core 2. I'm not able to watch live tv with it,
but I can watch shows already recorded.

The problem is recording on the remote. I started a recording on the main
and then started one on the remote. The main records fine but the remote is
nothing but a blue screen. I used the TV app that loaded with Fedora and I
can watch TV fine, so I know the card works and I'm getting a signal.

So do you think the system is just too little for this? Would I be better
off getting a pvr250 for capture? I was going to upgrade the ram but for
some reason the box doesn't like my 256M DIMMS. The box currently has a
128M PC133 DIMM, so I figured my 256M PC133 would work. I added 2 of the
256 dimms and the system reported 16M. I guess the most it can handle is
2x128M.

Thanks for the input.

Dave