[mythtv-users] Jarod's FC3 how to

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Nov 30 23:20:27 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 30 November 2004 13:57, Marc Infield wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am pretty much a beginner but I was able to get through Jarod's FC2
> tutorial and am happily running mythtv at home. Thank you for making it
> possible. :)
> I am trying out the FC3 install on a spiffy new box and have run into a
> couple wording things and of course some problems. Probably my errors,
> but I just thought I would share my pain.
>
> Section 3 wording:
> -SQL Database Server (selecting only mysql-server under the "Details"
> section)
> MYSQL has it's own entry in FC3
>
> -Kernel Development (if you want/need to compile any of your own
> drivers)
> this no longer exists in FC3

Knew I needed to yank the Kernel Dev section, and now I recall writing down
MySQL being its own entry. Where the hell did those notes go...

> Section 4 wording:
> -When prompted, you'll have to type in "Yes, do as I say!" to go ahead
> with this change.
> I did not get the "Yes, do as I say!" prompt, I just got the [Y/n]
> prompt. I am doing a clean install.

Sounds like an improvement then, the "Yes, do as I say!" was necessary last
Saturday, glad to see it isn't anymore...

> And this may just be me or my hardware but . . .
>
> -When i ran # apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
> the first time I ran it it timed out on two packages, (libraw1394 and
> xml-common).

Happens from time to time with freshrpms.net servers, which is where I believe
those are coming from.

> I ran it second time

That usually cures the problem. I may need to make note of that. Forgot about
it, since I d/l from a local mirror.

> and it updated with three errors:
>
> 1)
> sgml rpm   warning:/etc/sgml/catalog saved as /etc/sqml/catalog.rpmsave
>
> 2)
> xml-common  warning:/etc/xml/catalog saved as /etc/xml/catalog.rpmsave

Not problems, just notices.

> 3)
> warning: /usr/share/sgml/docbook/xmlcatalog saved as
> /usr/share/sgml/docbook/xmlcatalog.rpmsave
> Failed to remove entry from /etc/sgml/catalog
> Failed to remove entry from /etc/sgml/catalog
> Failed to remove entry from /etc/sgml/catalog
> Failed to remove entry from /etc/sgml/catalog
> Failed to remove entry from /etc/sgml/catalog
> Failed to remove entry from /etc/sgml/catalog
> Failed to remove entry from /etc/sgml/catalog
> Failed to remove entry from /etc/sgml/catalog
> Failed to remove entry from /etc/sgml/catalog

Hm, may be something getting done out of order. I think these should have been
done *before* /etc/sgml/catalog was moved to /etc/sgml/catalog.rpmsave. Not a
problem though.

> /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.92483: line 59: [: : integer expression expected

Not sure what that is, could be related to the failures above...

> - I then restart my machine and now get some errors in my boot log.
>
> Nov 30 11:28:31 localhost lm_sensors: Starting up sensors:
> Nov 30 11:28:31 localhost lm_sensors: Can't access procfs/sysfs file
> Nov 30 11:28:31 localhost lm_sensors:
> Nov 30 11:28:31 localhost lm_sensors: Unable to find i2c bus
> information;
> Nov 30 11:28:31 localhost lm_sensors: For 2.6 kernels, make sure you
> have mounted sysfs and done
> Nov 30 11:28:31 localhost lm_sensors: 'modprobe i2c_sensor'!
> Nov 30 11:28:31 localhost lm_sensors: For older kernels, make sure you
> have done 'modprobe i2c-proc'!
> Nov 30 11:28:31 localhost rc: Starting lm_sensors:  failed

Huh, so lm_sensors is getting automatically pulled in and started up again...
That's a touch annoying. Not a problem, like Wayne said, either configure
lm_sensors, or tell it not to run (chkconfig lm_sensors off).

> -Then I ran
> # apt-get install kernel#2.6.9-1.681_FC3
>
> When I reboot the machine with the new Kernel I get a error:
> hdb: drive not ready for command.
>
> But it starts fine with the old kernel.?

No clue what's up there, don't recall seeing that on my Chaintech 7NIF2...

> mobo: Chaintech 7NJL6

Thanks for the feedback though, I've definitely got some fixes to make...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...