[mythtv-users] FC3, HD3000, and udev

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 17:12:12 UTC 2004

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:58:19 -0500, Doug Larrick <doug at ties.org> wrote:
> Mercury Morris wrote:
> > I'm trying to write some rules for placement in the directory
> >
> >   /etc/udev/rules.d
> >
> > for a HD3000 card.
>
> I have (on Debian) a file /etc/udev/rules.d/pchdtv.rules as follows:
> KERNEL="video32" SYMLINK="dtv0"
> KERNEL="video33" SYMLINK="dtv1"
> KERNEL="video32" SYMLINK="dtv"
>
> This seems to do the trick for me (with my 2 cards).

AHA!  Thank you so much!  After more reading and testing,
I now see why the above rules work, for you.

After issuing the following command (on my system)

  modprobe cx8800

new entries were created in the /dev/tree.  Here they are:

 /dev/video0
 /dev/vbi0
 /dev/video32
 /dev/i2c-0

>From there, I was able to issue several udevinfo commands
and now I have enough information to continue on the path to
writing rules for my system.

Thanks again for some real-world examples of udev rules.

--
MM