[mythtv-users] what cards and tools

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Tue Nov 30 15:31:29 UTC 2004

> On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 16:07 -0600, Neil wrote:
>> hey guys,
>>
>> I'm overwhelmed by links that I've been finding. I wanted to seek
>> recommendation please.
>>
>> FYI, the system will be linux.
>>
>> 1. What card should I use to capture regular channels?
>> 2. What card should I use to capture hdtv signals(OTA is fine)?
>> 3. What software should I use to record those signals to my harddisk?
>> 4. What card should I use to playback the recorded to my HDTV set?
>>
>> Thanks guys,
>>
>> Neil
[snip]
> 1.  For standard definition tv I would highly recommend a Hauppauge
> PVR-250 or PVR-350.  The 250 is strictly an mpeg-2 encoder.  You will
> also need a graphics card with tv out (see 4).  If you want HDTV you
> probably won't want the 350 because it's mpeg-2 decoder only
> works with
> the built in s-video out and won't do Hi-def.

I've also just started looking into MythTV. I imagine it will be another
month or two before I actually have the time/money to start building a
box. So, I've been reading a lot, and joined the list yesterday. I
managed to find answers to most of the questions above (I think),
although the answer to #1 has me confused again.

>From what Wayne says, the PVR250 may be better for me, because while I
don't have HDTV capabilities right now, I will most likely want them in
the future, and the 350 sounds like it's no good for this. Although
previously I was leaning towards the 350's, thinking that the decoder
would be useful for keeping CPU low during playback (probably going to
run this on an old PIII 800).

What are the trade-offs of using a PVR-250 instead of a PVR350?
Since I want to be able to record a show while watching TV, I need two
cards (right?), so maybe I should get one of each and use the 350 for
playback whenever possible?
Has anyone put together a Pros and Cons document related to tuner cards?
Any recommendations on previous threads or search terms to look for in
the archives?

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.273.5050 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)