[mythtv-users] Fedora Myth(TV)ology turns 3

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Nov 30 05:36:36 UTC 2004

On Monday 29 November 2004 17:22, Franco wrote:
> > I think I actually have enough hardware that I could, given enough
> > time. However, to have enough time, I'd have to be getting paid
> > hey, look at that, its 3am and I have to work tomorrow... :-).
>
> Of course Jarod, I wasn't in any way asking you to spend more
> time for maintaining multiple versions of your guide. :-)

Oh, I know. Was just being a smart-ass to Axel, saying I actually did have
enough hardware to run a separate Myth box on all versions of Fedora
Core. :-p

> (I wrote it, but I understand my message was toooo long).

Yeah, it was a tad long.

> BTW, it's 2 am here, I do really understand you :-)
> I'm really thankful for your effort - without it, I wouldn't
> have my mythbox, which I really love...

:-)

> I was just hoping you'd stop switching from one OS to the other,
> but could choose one and stay on that....

Then I get the flip side, where people bitch at me for not updating to the
latest and greatest. Can't please everyone! ;-)

> > For a new system, there's no sense in starting with an already
> > unsupported (by the vendor) distribution like FC1
>
> Why not? If I want to install a machine with low-level hardware
> I MUST use an old OS.  e.g. if I want to use an old 386 for
> a little mail server, I can't install FC3.

For new *Myth* system. Anything that can run Myth can run FC3, and is likely
to perform better w/the 2.6 kernel.

> A mythbox is in the same situation.

I disagree. You can't (reasonably) run Myth on a 386 (or even a Pentium I).

> The hardware specifications
> on myth site are low and can't support _any_ OS that will be available
> in the future....

My six year old dual Pentium Pro works with all the latest and greatest stuff
today, and I see no reason a box in accordance with the specs on the Myth
site wouldn't work with anything that came out for the next few years... As
long as you're not talking HDTV, though in the US, everything will eventually
be HDTV, no more analog TV, so most people will need beefier hardware anyhow.
Well, maybe not, if we get optimized hardware decode of HDTV... Now I'm
rambling...

> > All that said, I *have* pondered moving to one of the RHEL rebuilds,
> > the benefits of a 5-year life span and a 2.6 kernel,
> > Might even concoct a Myth-specific rebuild, trimmed down
>
> These semm good news... :-)

If I can find the time to do it, I'd really like to...

> >> 2) You don't have to upgrade your OS to upgrade to a new version of
> >> Myth.
> >
> > Exactly.
>
> Hmmm... I don't agree. Sorry if my previous post was too long, but I tried
> to explain this. It is important (in my opinion).
>
> "apt-get dist-upgrade" does, often, make my FC2 mythbox stop working.
> It may be new kernel modules which require a different setup
> of /etc/modprobe.conf, or some other settings, or whatever.

So don't apt-get dist-upgrade, just apt-get install mythtv-suite to get the
latest mythtv stuff and requirements. Like I said, I still support a friend's
Red Hat 9 Myth box running the latest Myth without a problem.

> When it happens (about one time out of two) I do check Jarod's guide
> for recovering the machine.
>
> As Jarod is going to discontinue his FC2 guide, next time my box dies
> on an upgrade, I won't find the solution for recovering.
> Then I'll have to switch to FC3 for recovering it.

I think I'm pretty well set on wikifying the old versions now.

> Unless I renounce, starting from now, to upgrade my box with the new
> versions of myth... :-(

I can see drivers breaking on occasion if you dist-upgrade (though they can
always, always, always be fixed with some effort), but simply upgrading
mythtv-suite shouldn't ever hurt.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com