[mythtv-users] mythmusic and "various artists" albums

Curtis Stanford curtis at stanfordcomputing.com
Mon Nov 29 23:57:49 UTC 2004

I've been using and enjoying mythmusic for a while now and stumbled
upon a problem. I have lots of albums that have various artists on them
(i.e. soundtracks, christmas albums, etc.). I used to just set the
artist tag to 'Various' and put the artist name in the 'title' tag.
This struck me as lame so now I put the actual artist's name in the
artist tag. So, what I end up with is an album where every track has a
different artist tag.

Now, when I view it in mythmusic, it displays correctly and puts each
song on the album under the appropriate artist's name. So, the other
day, I wanted to play a certain Christmas album, so I went to one of
the artists in the tree and clicked on the album name itself (instead
of going all the way to the track name). I figured this would play the
entire album. Unfortunately, it only played the one song by that
artist. I discovered I couldn't think of any way of playing that album
now without going into each artist in the tree and checking the album
or track there.

So, even though I think this is the proper way to tag 'Various' type
albums, mythmusic is not cooperating with my choice. Does anyone else
do this or have any ideas? I think that clicking on the album, no
matter where in the tree you are, should play that album.

Thanks

Curtis