[mythtv-users] Another reason to choose Myth instead of TiVo

Michael Fenston fenston-myth at san.rr.com
Mon Nov 29 16:52:37 UTC 2004

Micah Wedemeyer wrote:

>It sounds like TiVo will start putting in ads that appear while you are fast-
>forwarding through other ads.
>
>MythTV (as you all know) lets you press one key and skip the entire commercial
>segment.
>
>Here's the Wired article:
>http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,65853,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_8
>
>I'm not really going to weigh in on TiVo's decision, since I don't care.
>Instead this post is meant to help those who are always asking, "Why should I
>choose Myth when TiVo is so cheap and easy?!?"
>
>Remember: When buying/building either MythTV or TiVo, you aren't only buying
>today's version, you are buying tomorrow's as well.  With TiVo, they will
>graciously automatically update you to the newest version of the software
>whenever they feel like it, along with all the new crap they have conceded to
>the advertisers.  With Myth, you can choose bleeding-edge, woefully outdated,
>or somewhere in between.
>
>The past year or so has shown where TiVo is heading: straight into the
>advertisers' pockets.  Do you really want to pay a subscription fee in order
>to see advertisements in new and exciting ways?
>
>Just my $0.02,
>Micah
>--

At least TiVo's fast forward/rewind function works really well.  On my
PVR-350's TV out I believe it has issues that may not be fixable at the
myth and ivtv level due to HW/SW interaction.  Someone please correct me
if I'm wrong.  On the fly closed captioning on TiVo also works
flawlessly ... another problem with the PVR-350's TV out.  This is a
popular card for mythtv from what I can tell (I bought one based on all
the posts and Jarod's site).  Just playing devils advocate here ... to
be honest I like my mythbox and TiVo box equally ... if they start
putting ads at me while I ff/rw I don't really care, this is dead time
to me anyway.  If they get rid of the back door 30s skip function you
can assign to the -> button, the TiVo gets one step closer toward my
things to Ebay pile!  I bought off the TiVo box when I got it for $299
... the cost for ~2yrs of subscription fees.  And now we are at $.04!

-Mike