[mythtv-users] Install Problems

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sun Nov 28 10:02:42 UTC 2004

On Sunday 28 November 2004 00:30, Jim Gifford wrote:
> Jarod Wilson wrote:
> >Have you tried installing the very latest ALSA drivers from ATrpms?
> > (v1.0.7) Perhaps that'll fix your sound card. 2.6.8-1.521 was a pretty
> > rock-solid kernel in my book. (Still running it on two of my Myth boxes).
> > And how certain are you that you loose the sound card, and it isn't just
> > a matter of needing to readjust the mixer and/or re-run
> > system-config-soundcard?
>
>     Re-ran config with no avail, just dead sound. Seems to be common
> with the via82xx though, looking around some of the other mailing lists
> for Fedora

Huh, I've got more or less the same on my EPIA, no such problem, running
kernel 2.6.8-1.521. Well, next up, I'd give the latest ALSA drivers for that
kernel a shot, I guess. I hadn't heard there were lots of via82xx problems
before, I should probably read up a bit.

> >Are you using the 350 for output, or the Unichrome?
>
> Yes I'm using the 350 for the output, since this board doesn't have a
> TV-OUT,  I figured that would be the safest to use.
>
> I noticed that you have updated to FC3 in your hint, do you want me to
> give that a shot.

Well, I could definitely use feedback, but that'd be a fair amount of work
just to get back to where you're already at... Also, I believe the latest FC2
kernel (the 2.6.9 one with the acpi problem) is pretty similar to the latest
FC3 kernel, so it could well have the same issues (though it isn't exactly
the same, since it uses udev, and may have some other acpi goodness that the
FC2 version doesn't, I really don't know for sure). It seems to me its gotta
be a problem with the ALSA version that shipped with the 2.6.8-1.521 kernel,
so upgrading the ALSA drivers using Axel's packages would hopefully be the
quickest fix. If that doesn't work, then I dunno...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...