[mythtv-users] Single Pass Mpeg-4 Transcoding Quality

Lachlan McIntosh lachlan at directions.com.au
Sun Nov 28 06:38:07 UTC 2004

Hi

Is it possible to turn on or enable a form of "n" Pass transcoding in
Myth?

The Mpeg-4 encoding doesn't seem to be of the same standard for the
resolution and bit rate that I would see
from converting my own "home movies" or from the "home movies" that I
have had friends send me.

Is this a limitation of the OpenDivX?

For example, using AVICodec I have extracted the following information:

A Transcoded Myth File:
    Video :  636 MB,  1118 Kbps,  25.0 fps,  720*576 (4:3),  DIVX =
OpenDivx v4,    Supported

Settings from "Home Movies" from a friend in the USA.
 Video :  282 MB,  945 Kbps,  23.976 fps,  624*352 (16:9),  XVID = XVID
Mpeg-4,    Supported
 Video :  301 MB,  978 Kbps,  23.976 fps,  624*352 (16:9),  XVID = XVID
Mpeg-4,    Supported

The "Home Movie" is of significantly higher quality.

The Myth File seems to have significant problems during scene changes or
rapidly moving scenes with most of the screen turning into large blocks,
only to recover a second or so later.

Personally I really don't care if it took three times longer to
transcode, but it would be handy to have the higher quality encoding for
archive purposes.

Also I've noticed that even though the Myth File was recorded at 16:9
format and the original nuv file information was 16:9 that it gets
munged to 4:3 (all I have to do is change Press W a few times to get it
in the right format, but it's a bit annoying)

Has anyone else figured out a solution to this?

Thanks
Lachlan McIntosh