[mythtv-users] Alsa sound out

Peter Buelow pete at putzin.net
Sun Nov 28 00:50:32 UTC 2004

Nezar Nielsen wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 02:19:36 -0800, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>

>>You don't have to hook up anything any differently to test /dev/dsp than
>>native ALSA output.
>>

>I think he meant he has spdif connected, but not the regular line-out..

Well, the big issue was that I had missed the MythMusic not having alsa
support. So, it obviously doesn't work with the alsa directive. Now I've
got /dev/adsp installed and there is sound coming out. Still some volume
issues, but that was with some old test mp3's, so they might have a
funky volume or something (or more alsamixer tweaking I guess). More
tests later this evening.

The TV issues puzzles me more. It may have had something to do with
trying to use both nvsound and the intel drivers, but I'm not sure. It
didn't work before I tried the nvsound stuff as well. But this
afternoon, recreated the capture card in setup, and then attached it to
ALSA:spdif, and it magically works. Dunno why. So, now I have sound all
throughout.

One other question about digital outputs. Will AC3 be automagically
passed through no matter what? I haven't played with a full surround
setup yet (will be moving this machine to the home theater tomorrow I
hope), but the receiver I have it hooked up to doesn't seem to notice
it's surround coming from DVD's or video's. Also, mplayer seems to
indicate that the output is down sampled to 2 channel. I'm gonna hunt
through the mplayer help tonight as well and see if that provides more
clues though.

Thanks for the help.

-Pete