[mythtv-users] Settings vs file size question

Khanh Tran khanh at slc.edu
Sat Nov 27 19:39:42 UTC 2004

It depends on what you're watching a listening to this on.  I'd lower
the video bitrates by 1,500kbps on each and bring the audio down to
128kbps.

Lowering the resolution helps too.  Each frame will be smaller, allowing
the video bit rate to be more effective in quality.

-Khanh

On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 12:15, Don Brett wrote:
> Hi, I've been reading / experimenting with settings, quality, and file
> sizes.  Something doesn't make sense, so I'm hoping someone can lend
> some expertise.  I've read that a reasonably good quality recording will
> use about 1 gig / hour.  But that's not what I'm getting.  Here's what I
> have:
>
> Testing by recording about 1 hour of a movie
>
> - Video Width = 640
> - Video Height = 480
> - Video Bitrate = 4500
> - Video Max Bitrate = 6000
> - Audio Bitrate = 384 kbps
>
> - Resulting .nuv movie file = about 2.1 - 2.5 gig
>
> With these settings, the quality is almost as good as broadcast (very
> slight grainy-ness).  What do I need to adjust to get the size down?
> Thanks,
> Don

Khanh Tran
Network Operations