[mythtv-users] Settings vs file size question

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Sat Nov 27 17:15:10 UTC 2004

Hi, I've been reading / experimenting with settings, quality, and file
sizes.  Something doesn't make sense, so I'm hoping someone can lend
some expertise.  I've read that a reasonably good quality recording will
use about 1 gig / hour.  But that's not what I'm getting.  Here's what I
have:

Testing by recording about 1 hour of a movie

- Video Width = 640
- Video Height = 480
- Video Bitrate = 4500
- Video Max Bitrate = 6000
- Audio Bitrate = 384 kbps

- Resulting .nuv movie file = about 2.1 - 2.5 gig

With these settings, the quality is almost as good as broadcast (very
slight grainy-ness).  What do I need to adjust to get the size down?
Thanks,
Don