[mythtv-users] Alsa sound out

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Nov 27 10:19:36 UTC 2004

On Saturday 27 November 2004 00:57, mythtv at heisterberg.dk wrote:
> You do not specify whether you use precompiled MythTV or CVS but please
> note that if you are running MythTV from RPM's (Jarods guide) the ALSA
> support isn't enabled. You must manually compile from CVS and toggle on
> ALSA support before compiling (settings.pro).

Horsefeather. It is too. Has been for quite some time, and I've been using
native ALSA output myself for a few months now.

> I've seen about a thousand posts about issues similar to this, but still
> no answer. Nothing on the web either.
>
> Anyway, mplayer works, I can play dvd's, but nothing from TV or music.
> Basically, myth can't use alsa and my .asoundrc from the digital sound
> guide (nvidia binary driver, nvidia setup in asoundrc), but mplayer can.
> The error I get is Output Error. AudioOutput: timed-out waiting for for
> 'ALSA:spdif'. Note that I get this error on every ALSA setting.

You've tried ALSA:default and /dev/adsp then?

> Anything
> using alsa times out. I can actually apparently use /dev/dsp, but don't
> have a hook up to test there is any sound coming out.

You don't have to hook up anything any differently to test /dev/dsp than
native ALSA output.

> I figure this is
> something I just missed, but have been searching and googling all night
> with out finding much. Anyone seen something like this? I'm digging into
> the code next to find the error and see if I can figure out what's not
> happening that way.

No clue what's up. Just haven't found the right device, I presume.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...