[mythtv-users] XF4.3.0 too slow for HDTV? (was BadAlloc)

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Fri Nov 26 04:34:00 UTC 2004

On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 09:32:02PM +0000, Martin Ebourne wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 20:46, John Goerzen wrote:
> > Here's another datapoint.  I have a frontend on my workstation, an
> > Athlon64 3200+ system with a 128MB Radeon 9600 and 1GB system RAM.
> > STILL I got skipping, though not as bad.  Is it the ATI cards that
> > suck or the drivers?  I am amazed that this worked so poorly on my
> > Athlon64 box.
>
> I've not been following the thread here at all since I don't have
> Radeon. However I don't believe current XFree/XOrg use DMA for Xv
> rendering on Radeon. In fact, I think someone recently posted a patch to
> the xorg list for Radeon to use DMA for Xv, so maybe that would solve
> the problems.

That could possibly explain why the stock XFree drivers are slower
than ATI's own proprietary drivers.  However, I was using ATI's own
drivers on both systems, and the performance was still dismal.  And
the CPU didn't seem to be overloaded either, especially on the
Athlon64 box.  So there must be a bottleneck somewhere (and it's not
the disk either; the whole clip was cached pretty quick on the
Athlon64).  Jarod's suggestion about the video card seems to fit the
available data.

-- John