[mythtv-users] firewire

Tom E. Craddock, Jr. sigtom at sigtom.com
Thu Nov 25 20:34:16 UTC 2004

Robert J. Adams wrote:

>>> I wasn't able to capture Showtime HD, but on a lark, I figured I'd
>>> change to channel 2 and test it.
>>

>> And the reason was because it was probably encrypted...
>

> Funny.. I was just getting ready to response and point this out. I
> don't  think the www.169time.com mod will have this issue. I'm pretty
> sure it passes everything unencrypted.
>

>> And that's the next step... I must point out, however, that while I was
>> able to capture HD video, mplayer exploded quite nicely at it when it
>> realized that it couldn't handle the resolution I was using.  Xine,
>> though, was able to handle it - *barely* - on the 1.7Ghz P4 that I'm
>> using...  I think I'll be shopping for a new motherboard if this thing
>> ever comes to fruition...
>

> I assume you were CPU bound?
>
>> The good news is, I got it working, and I've eaten.  ;)  The weird thing
>> is a question - is there any provision within MythTV for capturing both
>> SD and HD from the same source?
>

> Hrm.. wish I knew more about coding to help. ;(
>
> -jason

I just want to say thanks for pointing this info out all of you.  I had
recently asked at my local HDTV forum about Linux+ 1394 Cable Boxes and
they had pointed me to AVS...but my searches had come up empty.  I have
a Scientific Atlantic 3250 with firewire, so I get to figure out if this
will work someway with my cable box, it had been sitting on a shelf not
being used for the past month. Anyone else using this box and following
this thread, and if so have you had any success?

Tom