[mythtv-users] firewire

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Thu Nov 25 19:17:00 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 18:51 -0800, Ian Forde wrote:
> Replying to my own post...

And replying yet again...

> I wasn't able to capture Showtime HD, but on a lark, I figured I'd
> change to channel 2 and test it.

And the reason was because it was probably encrypted...

> Lo and behold, I got 2 minutes of 'Friends', which I watched with
> mplayer.  (I knew it was SD because mplayer reported the resolution at
> 720x480 and my P3-750 laptop was able to play it!)
>
> I would have loved it if I didn't hate that show so much. ;)
>
> So capturing SD over Firewire works.

10 minutes later I got HD over Firewire working.

> > 3. If successful, see if those features are in the mainline libavc1394
> > and ddr1394 code.  If they're not in the standard code, work towards
> > getting them in.
>
> That's yet another problem.  Once I can get HD captured, the code will
> need to modified to auto-detect cable boxes and submitted.  I'm not a
> coder anymore, but I can probably kludge a very improper hack. ;)

And that's the next step... I must point out, however, that while I was
able to capture HD video, mplayer exploded quite nicely at it when it
realized that it couldn't handle the resolution I was using.  Xine,
though, was able to handle it - *barely* - on the 1.7Ghz P4 that I'm
using...  I think I'll be shopping for a new motherboard if this thing
ever comes to fruition...

> > I'm at step 2 now.  And I'm having some problems.  Then again, I've only
> > spent 20 minutes on it so far and I'm getting hungry. ;)  I'll probably
> > try again over the weekend...
>
> And I still haven't eaten.  HD can wait for now... ;)

The good news is, I got it working, and I've eaten.  ;)  The weird thing
is a question - is there any provision within MythTV for capturing both
SD and HD from the same source?

	-Ian