[mythtv-users] Problems w/ MythTV

Rob Greene greener at charter.net
Thu Nov 25 19:08:04 UTC 2004

I'm having quite a few problems setting up Myth. I'm based on Fedora Core 3,
Hauppauge PVR-350, an old Voodoo Banshee video care (just for setup), P3
500MHz, DVD (approx 5 year-old hardware except for the PVR card).

I've been following Myth(TV)ology directions
(http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php), but not everything has happened as
expected.

1. I can view video on my monitor, but not hear it. I've gone through all
the suggested remedies that I could find without resorting to manual
compiles. If I grab an mpeg from a different machine that I know has sound,
I can play it with mplayer and listen too. If I take the captured mpeg and
move it to my laptop, there is no sound there either. From that I determined
that I'm not capturing audio in the first place. I've played with the
msp3400 drivers, but the suggestions are always to delete a specific one.
I'm not sure if the correct one is being found.

2. When I enable the TV out, the TV goes from blue (no signal) to green.  Is
that right?

3. If I play a video on the TV, it's inverted and definitely tinted green.
I cannot figure out why and haven't seen anything regarding this.

4. No sound is played through my TV speakers.  This may be related to the
sound not being recognized above.

5. Lirc doesn't see my remote.  It's the one that came with the PVR-350.
It's plugged in and I think the devices are correct AFAICT, but I just saw a
posting that suggests I have a little bit more to do - so maybe this just
isn't quite done.

6. I am unable to get X to use the PVR-350 TV out.  I get an error about
ivtvdevModuleData not found or something like that.

7. This is really weird.  If the video drivers have been loaded, when I shut
down the machine, after X exits, I see a blinking "D" on my screen and
that's where the machine stops.  I have to do a hard power-off.  (Hold the
power button, hit the reset button, or pull the power plug.)

I am more than willing to re-do the install.  This is an "extra" machine
which, I thought, would be a good start for a prototype Myth setup, so I
have nothing to lose by reformatting and restarting.  My other server does
have a more current NVidia card (with S-Video out, I think) that I can pull,
but I really wanted to use the PVR-350 for everything - video/sound in and
video/sound out as well as the remote control.

Any pointers or tips or curses are welcome.  I'm not really a newbie, but I
haven't done anything out of the ordinary for quite a long time - most my
current Linux efforts revolve around MySQL, Tomcat, TWiki, etc - stuff that
is nearly standard now.

Thanks!
-Rob