[mythtv-users] DVB Setup, Channel numbers, chanid

John Pullan jmp at tarantella.com
Thu Nov 25 10:13:37 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 23:58 +0100, Per Åge Sørvik wrote:
> Mark Howells wrote:
>
> >Please can someone explain to me the relevance of columns in the
> >channel table - particularly w.r.t a DVB setup.
> >
> >I'm running a CVS release from around 20th Nov.  and have the DVB
> >patch installed.  All goes well during setup and the autoscan finds
> >the channels I expect.  However, when I run the backend I see
> >
> >DVB#0 Trying to tune to channel 1000.
> >2004-11-24 21:22:48.373 DVB#0 ERROR - Unable to find channel in database.
> >2004-11-24 21:22:48.374 DVB#0 ERROR - Failed to get channel options
> >for channel1000.
> >
> >However,  the entry for BBC ONE has the following
> >
> >chanid=1000, channum=4173.  When I try to watch livetv I
> >(unsurprisingly) get a black screen.  I also can't for the life of me
> >see where I can set the initial channel for the backend.  I also don't
> >know how remote/keyboard channels (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) are mapped to either
> >the channum of chanid.
> >

> The remote numericals is mapped to the channum field. The chanid field
> is referenced from the dvb_channel table, where the actual dvb specific
> stuff is stored, except for the pids table. This is for 0.16 BTW, don't
> know what's changed with the patch.

It's all changed in the patch there's no dvb_pids, dvb_channel tables
anymore :)

The channel number  is what you need to feed back into the Input
Connections initial channel entry. So in your case it looks like you
need 4173. This is why you're getting the above error. It's probably
trying to tune to channel 1  or some such.

I know it's not correct for UK users, but hopefully it will be fixed
real soon now. We haven't had chance to read the information out of the
stream which gives the channel number hints, (it's a user field in the
NIT table I believe)

Hope this helps

--
John Pullan <jmp at tarantella.com>