[mythtv-users] XF4.3.0 too slow for HDTV? (was BadAlloc)

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Nov 25 06:12:27 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 19:58, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 08:52:58PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As part of some of my testing for HDTV, I decided to try playback of
> > Jarod's clip.  I received a blank screen, but got this in my
> > .xsession-errors:
>
> I switched to the standard 4.3.0 driver, which works fine.  However, it
> uses about twice the CPU as fglrx for playback, and I still can't watch
> HDTV without some stuttering.  Strange thing is that the CPU usage
> never exceeds 40-60%.
>
> I tried playing with settings in my XF86Config-4.  Setting the AGP mode
> to 4x maybe helped a bit, though if I tried to turn on fast writes,
> starting up X would either cause a hang or immediate reboot.

I wouldn't let a Radeon card come near my HDTV Myth box. I had assorted
problems with both the radeon and fglrx drivers (different problems with each
of them) pushing a Radeon 9000 Pro some time back (over a year ago). I yanked
that card, put in an nVidia card, and everything has been just fine since.
Sounds like things might have improved slightly, but still sub-par...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...