[mythtv-users] firewire

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Thu Nov 25 01:06:30 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 22:38 -0500, Robert J. Adams wrote:
> Hello, I've been using myth for a little over a year now and wanted to
> say thanks to everyone that has contributed! The system is superb in
> every way.
>
> Recently I upgraded to HD DirecTV and would like to get this working
> with myth. I found a mod at www.169time.com that will enable a
> firewire/1394 port out the back of my dtv receiver. It appears linux
> supports video over firewire, but it doesn't look like myth has support.
> Since the FCC now requires cable to offer a firewire port I think you'll
> see a lot of people going the route in the near future.

<opinion>

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say "supports", although some people
have it working.  I finally replaced my Motorola DCT-6200 this
afternoon, after months of it not working.  (And eventually I found that
not only was the box hosed, I had a bad coax cable too!)  Now - given
that you said that you found a mod, it might not be a bad idea to post
the link to the specific item that you found.

Anyhoo, now I've got HD programming coming through on TV.  Here are what
the steps should be:

1. Make sure you've got HDTV coming through the cable box.
2. Attempt the technique at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-
vb/showthread.php?postid=3303967#post3303967 to capture a HDTV stream.
3. If successful, see if those features are in the mainline libavc1394
and ddr1394 code.  If they're not in the standard code, work towards
getting them in.

Then Linux will "officially" (or as officially as what counts for it
these days) support video over firewire.

Then, and only then, when the code is mainline, will you see more people
trying it out for captures, and eventually, someone will feel the need
to scratch the itch to get it working within Myth.

</opinion>

I'm at step 2 now.  And I'm having some problems.  Then again, I've only
spent 20 minutes on it so far and I'm getting hungry. ;)  I'll probably
try again over the weekend...

	-Ian