[mythtv-users] Converting a TiVO Series 2 to a Myth Box?

Ewan Grantham ewan.grantham at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 19:02:04 UTC 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:33:39 -0000, George Styles <george at ripnet.co.uk> wrote:
> How about a video sender? transmit from pc to tv... around £50-100 here in
> UK.

Well, I'm monitoring the XBox discussions here as an idea to pursue
after the holidays when I assume they will be somewhat cheaper -
particularly since the "low profile" of the unit would make it easy to
fit in with our entertainment center.

However, per the above suggestion, I went to the local Circuit City
(because Best Buy was sold out) and bought a LeapFrog unit (Wireless
Video from transmitter to receiver over 2.4 GhZ) for about $100. Which
then leaves the question of whether I want to use it to move video
from the cable box to the computer (Cable transmit, computer receive)
or from the computer to the TV. In one case I can record, but can only
watch on the computer. In the other I can show what's on the computer
but still have to get stuff over to the computer.

I will probably just pull the stuff that is currently on my TiVO off
to put on the main computer, and then start recording new stuff on the
TiVO and just access the older stuff from the computer. Maybe I should
have bought two units... :-)

Anyway, will keep watching to see what other ideas folks might have
for the situation. Suspect I'll be installing Myth over the holiday
weekend to handle the video I do get onto the computer.

Thanks again,
Ewan