[mythtv-users] Newbie needs help finding IVTVCTL for PVR-350

DStumpfElm at aol.com DStumpfElm at aol.com
Wed Nov 24 17:51:23 UTC 2004

Hello all-

I've been running Mythtv for a few months after following it for a few years.  I am a complete linux newbie and although I have spent literally hundreds of hours working on this and googling, I still have problems with basic linux things like finding and running programs.  After 20 years with M$ I am having great difficulties picking up linux.

I am running a PVR-350 but using an Nvidia TV-Out because it was simpler.  I would like to be able to migrate to the PVR-350's TV-Out, and also try to get the S-Video in working so I can capture my home movies.  The threads I have found refer to ivtvctl to control the PVR-350, but I cannot find that program on my system, and I can not figure out how to get it.

I have successfully loaded ivtv and the box is working.  I used Jarrod's instructions and found them great but did have to supplement the information with several other searches to understand what was going on at times.

Should ivtvctl have been installed with the normal ivtv install?  Yesterday I ran 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get upgrade' using at-stable in my 'sources.list' so I seem to have the latest stuff.  I ran 'find ivtv*' and only found the ivtv stuff.

one other point -- I have only rca-in jacks on my TV, along with Coax.  I am running my analog cable into the coax, and using the rca-inputs for my Mythtv output.  That way I can toggle between mythtv and cable as I debug, install, etc.  The problem is the PVR-350 color does not seem as saturated as the coax input.  Does anyone know if that is a PVR-350 saturation adjustment or degradation due to use of the rca jacks?  That is one of the things I was hoping to diagnose with ivtvctl.

Thanks for any pointers or help offered -- dave