[mythtv-users] Raid question for myth box

ghuntress at comcast.net ghuntress at comcast.net
Wed Nov 24 17:35:56 UTC 2004

I am currently using software RAID 1 for my mythtv store.  I'm using two IDE drives on different channels.  In my first attempts I had some pretty serious IDE performance problems.  Any process that did I/O got bogged down severely and my system load shot up over 15!

I did two things to correct this.  1)   I checked and properly set 32 bit I/O and DMA for each drive, plus 2)  I lowered the default value of dev.raid.speed_limit_max from 50000 (I think) to 10000 and my system is much more responsive.

Note, I don't know much about tuneing IDE performance and YMMV!

Regards,

Gary H.

PS.   If you're wondering why I bothered to use RAID 1, I also store all our family photos in that array and loss of data would be BAD!