[mythtv-users] Unichrome support at ATrpms (was: How well does Unichrome work?)

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 23 16:42:07 UTC 2004

Axel,

I was actually thinking about that last night...
While I can't host RPMs myself if I build them (not
enough bandwidth on my hosting account), I could
certainly assist in building them for you (if I have a
normal MythTV spec file, and once I read up on
packaging RPMs).

Adding Unichrome support involves grabbing some RPMs
from the Unichrome project, which could easily be
hosted on ATrpms, or even left at the Unichrome site.
>From there, it's changes to settings.pro to enable the
VIA XvMC, which will conflict with the nVidia XvMC.
I'm working on finalizing an xorg.conf for TV-out and
stuff like that, and I have plans to document it when
I am finished.

One thing that I haven't tried yet is a cross-compile
(i.e. compile the code on a more powerful machine,
like an Athlon XP or Pentium 4, and then try to run it
on the Epia) - if that works, it would give me a
faster build platform (building on a 1GHz Epia is
slow! - and can't be done while watching recordings,
unlike on a faster machine).

I haven't built the other plugins yet (and I unplugged
my Epia because a co-worker is interested and wants to
see it), so unfortunately, I don't know about whether
or not you need different versions of everything.  I
ran ldd on the mythfrontend binary (from ATrpms) on my
backend (which was my previous frontend), and it seems
that the graphics libraries expect to be linked to the
mythfrontned binary, not libmythtv (libXvMc is a
dependency of the mythfrontend and mythepg binaries).

This will indeed be interesting, because of mixed
backend/frontend combinations (like what I'm using).
I think it will come down to seperate RPMs for
Unichrome and non-Unichrome, and you just have to
select the appropriate set based on whether or not
you're on a frontend or backend (so, maybe a
"mythtv-suite", and a "mythtv-unichrome-suite"?).
Also, Unichrome requires CVS (until 0.17 is official),
so they'll have to be classified as bleeding (not a
problem, I guess, you take your chances).

Since I have a long weekend coming up here
(Thanksgiving), I'll play around with it and see what
I can come up with (especially on the cross-compiling
part).  Once I get everything built, then I'll see if
I can find the spec files on ATrpms, and perhaps
package it up.

-- Joe