[mythtv-users] Hardware Encoding

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Nov 22 21:29:41 UTC 2004

On Monday 22 November 2004 12:56, dbakker at arrayasolutions.com wrote:
> It's already encoded?

The streams off a pcHDTV card are mpeg2 transport streams.

> How come when I go into the recording profiles
> under Hardware HDTV  it asks me if I want to use mpeg4 or rtjpeg for
> compession where with my PVR250 card it used Hardware encoding? Does
> mythtv have to re-encode the data for HDTV?

That might be for transcoding, not really sure.

> HDTV works great with VLC or xine. Mythtv is shaky and i get lots of
> mpeg2video errors.

Myth does a lot more than either VLC or xine (and how much more can change,
depending on your settings), so you may be running out of CPU. Myth is
rock-solid w/HDTV streams for me.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com