[mythtv-users] Detecting crashes

tommy myth-user at tommywatson.com
Mon Nov 22 17:31:34 UTC 2004

Jonathan Markevich wrote:

> Does anyone know how to detect crashes and hangs of either the
> frontend or backend?  I have been having to baby it every day these
> days, and I'd love a cron job to test if all is well or not.  I can't
> grep ps aux to see if the process is there, because it usually is
> there, just locked up.
>
> Has anyone else done this already?

sorry, can't help you with hangs/lock ups but I use the attached program
to restart my backed/frontend and any other software i need up 24/7
compile with

g++ -o nw nw.cpp
put it somewhere like /usr/local/bin and then just put /usr/local/bin/nw
in front of the command that starts your programs, ie.

from ~/mythtv/.fluxbox/startup
/usr/local/bin/nw /usr/local/bin/mythfrontend &

or  for email alerts

/usr/local/bin/nw mail=my_email at host.com /usr/local/bin/mythfrontend &