[mythtv-users] Possible Problem with commercial detection code

Adam Biskobing tv at badmoon.com
Mon Nov 22 17:25:01 UTC 2004

I have been having a long standing problem with the backend crashing, I
have finally figured out what was causing it and wanted to let others
know if they are experiencing random/unknown crashes, this could be the
cause.

My setup is a DirecTV RCA receiver connected to a PVR-250.  I had not
cleaned out my channels as much as I should have, and occasionally would
get a recording on a channel that I do not have.  I found out that the
crashes were occuring when channel detection would be run on these
recordings that consist of nothing but black.  I would assume that the
commercial detection code ran out of memory when it would try to buffer
black frames for commercial detection, but I'm not the programmer so I
do not know for sure.  After removing the channels that caused the
problem, I have not had a crash for two weeks.