[mythtv-users] myth and macs

Jeremiah Morris jm at whpress.com
Mon Nov 22 15:32:31 UTC 2004

On 22 Nov 2004, at 9:24 AM, Bill Oberman wrote:

> Last, I see some posts about OSX patches on the dev board.  Does this
> mean I could run an "official" frontend on the mac?  Where is this code
> compared to the main trunk (0.16 has been fairly stable for me).

You have two main options for running a Mac frontend:

- Jan Ornstedt's 0.16 binary is based on the 0.16 code, with lots of
custom patches to add post-0.16 Mac improvements.  It installs a
self-contained .app package containing everything you need (except the
mysql.txt file, which you need to create appropriately).  If you're
running a 0.16 backend, this is the best option.

http://www.ornstedt.nu/mythtv-0.16-1.dmg

- The current CVS tree now compiles without patches on the Mac.  You
need to be running current CVS on your backend, as the protocols have
changed since 0.16.  There's no self-contained version yet, and you
need to run it from the command line; the experience is much closer to
a Linux setup.  If you run a CVS build on the backend, this is the only
way to try out the Mac frontend.

http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/MythOnMacOsx

Either version takes gobs of CPU cycles; even a brand new Mac may not
be able to handle HD-quality video.  As far as OS X improvements go,
there's not much difference between the binary and CVS, so unless
you're planning to contribute to the development effort (coding, or bug
reporting, testing patches for OS X compatibility, etc.), you will find
the binary package to be a smoother route.

- Jeremiah