[mythtv-users] mythbackend crashes

Matthew Conway wr0ngers at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 23:01:57 UTC 2004

Until someone figures out how to fix this, I came up with a hack to
make it less of WAF destroyer.  Get and install the the "swatch"
package, and configure it to use something similar to the following
rule and run swatch as root at startup.

append to /etc/rc.local:
swatch --config-file=/etc/swatch.conf &> /var/log/swatch.log &

create /etc/swatch.conf:
watchfor /ivtv: needed/
        echo
        exec "/etc/init.d/mythbackend restart"

This way, at least you only miss a few seconds of whatever myth was
recording when it choked (however long it takes for backend to restart
and re-record).  For me this always seems to happen within the first
20 secs or so of the recording, and it doesn't cause a system hang
like it does for some people.

--

Matthew Conway
w r 0 n g e r s  a t  g m a i l  d o t  c o m