[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend Set top Box

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Fri Nov 19 18:32:11 UTC 2004

> You have extremely limited functionality at this point.  Playing
> recorded
> shows and viewing upcoming recordings.  That's it.  No mythweather.
> No prerecorded stuff.  No music.  No news.  I think this effort
> is pretty new, so much functionality is yet to be added.  Seeing as how
>
> the MVP stands for Music, Video and Pictures, it is reasonable to
> guess that support for everything else is coming soon, but it all
> depends
> on how much time anyone over on the mvpmc developers list has.

Paul,

Thanks for the info, but at the risk of looking really dumb, I'm still
confused by one point.

You say you can play recorded shows, but then you say No prerecorded
stuff. In my situation there isn't much difference, except that the
files are stored in two different directories. The things I play in
Mythvideo are mostly recordings that I've moved to MythVideo, because I
wanted to keep them, and to keep my list of recorded shows to a
manageable list. That being said, they are simply mpeg2 files.

Does the MVP1000 play shows recorded by mythtv?
Assuming yes, does is just connect to them by mounting the directory
with NFS?
How do you select which recording to view? (since a nuv file is a
"coded" filename how do you know what you're viewing?) ("coded filename"
is being used loosely here I know how it is derived)

Sorry if I'm not sure I'm explaining myself very well. I'm only
interested in watching mythtv recorded shows and shows in mythvideo.
Since they're all mpeg2 videos, I'm trying to understand how the mvp1000
is making the connection.

Thanks,
James