[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend Set top Box

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Fri Nov 19 16:46:25 UTC 2004

>>> jep at obrien-pifer.com 11/19/2004 11:25:46 AM >>>
>One more question if you don't mind. How is your MVP1000 getting
>to the Videos to play them? All of my videos for MythVideo are still
>MPEG2, so I think they would be fine. I already have two of the
>Hauppage grey remotes, so this solution "might" be exactly what
>I'm looking for.

Having recently gone through setting this up, I can answer that one...
The remote bin file used to boot the mediamvp into mvpmc software
is doing an nfsmount of the recordings directory.  The remote
supplied with MEdiaMVP is the EXACT one supplied with a PVR-250.

>Looking at the Hauppage website it obvisouly plugs into the network.
>Does the device connect to software on the host Windoze machine for
>getting to the videos?

The device can connect to software running on a Windows box (default).
The way it connects to your myth box is through dhcp (for ip address),

tftpboot (for boot image) and nfsmount (for video partition).

You have extremely limited functionality at this point.  Playing
recorded
shows and viewing upcoming recordings.  That's it.  No mythweather.
No prerecorded stuff.  No music.  No news.  I think this effort
is pretty new, so much functionality is yet to be added.  Seeing as how

the MVP stands for Music, Video and Pictures, it is reasonable to
guess that support for everything else is coming soon, but it all
depends
on how much time anyone over on the mvpmc developers list has.

Having said all that, this thing blows away even the quitest PC
I've ever built.  When the rest of the functionality is added in to
make this
thing a fully functional front end, I'll buy at least 4 or 5 more of
these
little gems.

>Thanks,
>James