[mythtv-users] Preserving HDTV AC3 audio stream whilst transcoding

Preston Crow pc-mythtv04 at crowcastle.net
Thu Nov 18 21:24:10 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 16:02, Joe Barnhart wrote:
> Because I obviously needed more horsepower to use Xv
> at 1080i output, I bought a P4 3200 machine and I'm
> now able to play HD sreams smoothly.  All of my
> experiments are with plain 0.16 MythTv under
> KnoppMyth.
>
> I don't have any comparisons with Xine or Mplayer, but
> I can say for sure that the player built into Myth is
> not able to keep up with 1080i while playing on an
> Athlon 2800 or slower, using Xv and a nVidia 5200 (8x
> AGP).

I'm currently running the same video card (5200) with an Athlon 2500+
(barton core).  My display is currently set to 720p; I haven't played
with xrandr yet to switch based on the source.  I'm not using XvMC.
Watching CSI (a 1080i show) has no problems, provided I'm not doing
anything else at the same time (I think due to timing issues with other
access to the hard drive and insufficient buffering, but it could be bus
contention).

Of course, you're using KnoppMyth, which I don't believe is optimized
for the Athlon with the latest gcc.  I'm running Gentoo.  I'm also
running Myth-cvs from a few days ago, but I haven't noticed any
performance changes due to that.  Oh, and I'm running plain 2.6.7 +
pchdtv, ivtv, and the latest nvidia drivers.

It would be interesting for me to rebuild Myth, Xorg-x11, glibc, and the
kernel with an older gcc and no Athlon optimizations.  Then I would know
how much difference Gentoo is really making here.

--PC