[mythtv-users] mythbackend "hangs"/stops recording

Jim Chandler jim at chandler.net
Thu Nov 18 19:10:26 UTC 2004

I've seen this when my video portion of the hard drive starts getting full
(>90%).  I'm using ReiserFS for the video file system.  I'm using 0.15.1,
but I saw it in 0.16 also.  I went back to 0.15.1 until 0.16 get's more
stable.

Keeping my HD < 90% utilized seems to work well for me.

The backend appeared to still be running, but when you do a "mythbackend
--printsched" it hangs without printing out the pending schedule.

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:51:56 -0500
"Christopher N. Deckard" <cnd at ecn.purdue.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
> I've been working on getting MythTV working on some new Athlon64
> hardware under Debian unstable.  The backend is started at boot time,
> and runs fine for a while, but it seems that after a while, whether it
> has recorded something or not, it will stop recording programs.  It also
>
> stops doing commercial detection.
>
> Occasionally it will not create the preview image seen on the MythWeb
> recorded programs interface.  On other occasions I will get a message
> "waiting for a thread.." and the backend is completely non-responsive.
> Upon restarting the backend, everything is fast, and it'll normally
> create the preview image right away.
>
> Sent an email about this a couple weeks ago and got no response.  Any
> help or pointers or suggestions would be useful.  The startup script was
>
> running the backend as the mythtv user.  I changed it to be run as root,
>
> but it still has problems.
>
> -Chris

Jim
N0VH