[mythtv-users] Re: Preserving HDTV AC3 audio stream whilst transcoding

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Nov 18 06:53:16 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 17 November 2004 21:09, Marc Nicholas wrote:
> A well written driver for pcHDTV cards and careful tuning should yield
> system requirements *way* lower than pcHDTV "recommend".

There honestly isn't much more the pcHDTV folks can do on the driver side to
improve performance. The card just isn't that complex. It tunes into a
broadcast mpeg2 transport stream and dumps it to disk. The mpeg2 file is an
mpeg2 file is an mpeg2 file. The vast majority of the optimization has to
come on the playback side. While better decode algorithms definitely help, I
think the biggest gains are to be had from getting GPUs to bear more of the
burden.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com