[mythtv-users] mythbackend crashes

glen martin glenm at locutory.org
Wed Nov 17 19:20:20 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 14:33, Andrew Plumb wrote:
> --snip--
> 2004-11-01 22:29:27 IOBOUND - blocking in ThreadedFileWriter::Write()
> 2004-11-01 22:29:28 IOBOUND - blocking in ThreadedFileWriter::Write()
> --end-snip--

I've had three crashes  in the past 24 hours like
this.  In only the third case could I read any
console output, and in that case, after the IOBOUND
message I got (paraphrased):

  Changing from WatchingLiveTV to None
  Couldn't read data from capture card in 15s
    Game over, man.
  Unable to write to client socket as it's no longe
  there.
(client was in fact still running, and complaining
of the server being missing)

After this, the entire system hung. (The system
hang is why I've been having some difficulty
reading the console logs - I hadn't been able to
get to the dang window!)

On the latest failure, on reboot and restart
of mythbackend I got the following. I don't expect
this is the cause since it didn't occur on the
previous crashes, only the latest:

  Told to create a NEW database schema, but the
  database already has 36 table.
  If you are sure this is a good mythtv database,
  verify that the settings table has the DBSchemaVer
  variable.

For the record, I'm using XFS for video files,
ext3 for some other partitions, software raid,
no partitions over 60% full.

I'm also running from the CVS head as of lsat
Sunday or Monday.

I'll try to do some better debugging tonight,
though with the crashes it is a bit hard ...
maybe a pile of console windows and logfile
tails from another machine ...

If anyone has a pointer on how I can fix my
database (preferably without dropping the tables
or content), that'd help. :)

glen