[mythtv-users] epia mythfrontend

Ivor Hewitt ivor at ivor.org
Tue Nov 16 08:41:58 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 16 Nov 2004 01:34, Adam Felson wrote:
> So... Is everybody running the open source unichrome drivers?

Well I am.

> Is it a problem if the backend uses mpeg-4 compression?

Yes it will be a problem because the front end won't support mpeg4.... anyway
it's only the new CN400 chips that provide mpge4 decoding which your M6000
won't have anyway.

> > Both have advantages and disadvantages.  The via supplied drivers for
> > the mpeg decoding hardware will also decode mpeg4 streams.

Only on a CN400... and I haven't heard any reports of anyone actually doing
it... and the code in VeXP for mpeg4 is commented "MPEG4 decoding
experiment" :-)

> > The open
> > source software can be used with any kernel version, not just those that
> > the people at via support.

The problem with the via drivers also is that there is only the VeXP
application that uses them now.

> > I don't need to run any kernel;

Well you need to run some sort of kernel. :-)

> > a unsecure 2.4 kernel is fine for me;
> > it'll run on it's own network with no connection to the internet.
> >
> > Does myth work with the mpeg decoding hardware with the via binaries?

No

--
Ivor Hewitt.
http://www.ivor.it - tech | http://www.ivor.org - hedge