[mythtv-users] Congress to Make Commercial Skipping Illegal

Preston Crow pc-mythtv04 at crowcastle.net
Tue Nov 16 16:47:26 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 11:20, Phil Bridges wrote:
> Consider this:
>
> I *don't* save an altered copy of the show, amd Myth doesn't make changes,
> dletions, or additions to commercials.  Therefore, all I should need is a
> OSD warning at the beginning, correct?  I don't see where this section
> disallows commercial skipping.

Yes, but I find commercial detection to be good enough to script it to
include the cut list and transcode as an automated process.  (Well, not
really, but I might in the future, especially if I build up a database
of known commercials using closed captioning or something like that.
And with commercials in HDTV, it should be trivial to detect them and
strip them out, at least until they're also in HD.)

The point is that any law that restricts our personal use of recorded
content is bad, regardless of whether it impacts our current usage.

--PC