[mythtv-users] Congress to Make Commercial Skipping Illegal <- eff

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Tue Nov 16 15:58:15 UTC 2004

As a card carrying member of the EFF I feel compelled to suggest anyone really
concerned with these sorts of issues make a contribution to the EFF.  For
those who don't know who the EFF is, they basically have lawyers and such
that fight this sort of thing and worse when it comes to technology.

In 2002 they were tackling these issues with some replayTV cases in court.  I
think they won, hence legislation two years later.

http://www.eff.org has more on what they are doing... or for more background
go there and do a search on "commercial skip"

As an alternative (if you don't want to shell out the coin yourself, or cant)
I've had people make donations in my name instead of gifts (avoids those
gifts that you don't really like but feel compelled to keep for years).

Does this legislation surprise me?  Not at all.  Does it suck and is wrong?
Sure...  What if everyone had commercial skip then?  Would any programming be
left or would we be stuck with a couple of pay channels?  Without advertising
there is not point to normal tv right?  Just wondering as I have pondered
this in the past.