[mythtv-users] Newbie asks: has anyone tried WinTV-Nexus-CA?

Teemu Nikkilä tnikkila at cc.hut.fi
Tue Nov 16 15:25:52 UTC 2004

Hello everybody,

I'm planning to build a PVR/mediacenter from my VIA Epia 800 desktop.
I'd like to have analog and digital (DVB-C) TV as well as a radio on the
system. The motherboard has only one PCI slot, so if I want two cards
I'd need a riser card for the PCI. Other solution would be to use a card
that combines all features into one.

I've made some investigations and the simple options seem to be:
a) Hauppauge PVR-350 (analog TV, radio, MPEG encoder/decoder, TV-out,
remote) + a DVB-C card (digital TV)

b)WinTV-Nexus-CA (all-in-one solution, for reference see:
http://213.221.87.83/pages/products/data_nexus-ca.html).

Does anyone have experience on the plan-B card or working and cheap
DVB-C cards for plan-A? And of course it would be nice to be able to
record from both analog and digital receivers simultaneously. I wonder
if this can be done with the Nexus-CA?

Thanks in advance,
Teemu