[mythtv-users] Re: epia mythfrontend

Micah Wedemeyer fanmail at micah-wedemeyer.net
Tue Nov 16 15:10:04 UTC 2004

Now, I'm not one of the experts, but I've been messing with my Epia/MythTV for
a few months now.  Here's some notes pertaining to your message:

1. If you are using an M6000, then as far as I know, you do NOT have hardware
MPEG-4 decoding.  The M (and MII) have MPEG-2 decoding through the CLE266
chipset, but only the newer CN400 chipset (on the Epia SP, I believe) has MPEG-
4 decoding.  I do not think the M6000 is fast enough to do MPEG-4 decoding in
software, but I could be wrong.  So, even if you use the VIA drivers, you
can't get MPEG-4 decoding working, since your board doesn't support it.
Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

2. The Unichrome drivers are getting significantly easier to use now.  There
are even RPMs available for Fedora Core 2.  These allowed me to get up and
running with MPEG-2 decoding with Xine in a matter of hours.  This was after
weeks of trying to get stuff to run.

3. MythTV works with the hardware MPEG-2 decoding, but only with the Unichrome
drivers, I believe.  I think they discontinued support for the VIA binary
drivers.  In addition, the latest release (0.16) does not have support for
either.  You have to get the CVS release in order to get full support.  I have
not yet done this since I'm scared to lose the RPM release that I initially
installed.

Hope this helps,
Micah
----