[mythtv-users] Re: nuv export speed

Jonathan Markevich mythtv at jonandtina.net
Tue Nov 16 01:50:09 UTC 2004

John P. Mitchell wrote:

>   On the speed side of things, I have tried several machines to see what
>difference that made on the process. I setup my XBox (733MHz
>Celeron/PIII Hybrid) running Xebian and I got around 7fps exporting
>640x480/2200kb video and 192kb/mp3 material to VCD without the denoise
>option. With the same exact material on an Athlon XP 2000+ I got about
>10fps. With my brand spanking new Athlon 64 3000+ I get about 15fps.

My sempron 2400+ is apparently pretty close to your XP 2000+, and I get
7fps.  No denoising BUT I do use the crop feature.

>Anyway, usually takes about two hours to export the material. Something
>about this seems wrong. Especially since my friend transcodes material
>on his windows box with several different tools and gets about 33fps.

I transcode vcd-res captures to KVCD on my XP 2200+ Windows box at
somewhere around 60 fps using TMPGEnc, *including* running telecine on
it first! (converting to 23.5 fps video).

>So what gives? I know it is not nuvexport, so it must be transcode. And
>thinking on it for a moment tells me that if my box can decode the
>content without breaking a sweat then it should be able to at least do
>the transcode realtime. Anyone have any insight into this? I am
>starting to think it might be worth rebooting my box into Windows XP
>just to get a decent transcode time.

I tried converting & transcoding in Windows too... I installed the
dsmyth filters, and I could *see* it, but  when I converted to mpeg or
avi the sound was out of sync.  It seems to export perfectly from
nuvexport though.  I'd do the XP way, but it doesn't seem to be an
option.  YMMV.

Basically we have to figure out what Lonnie's got that we don't.