[mythtv-users] HD-3000 OUT, a second PVR-250 card IN

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 22:55:52 UTC 2004

For the near-term, I'm suspending the effort to try to add
an HD-3000 card to the system with a PVR-350 card.
Surely, someone with a lot of expertise will either show
how it can be done, or confirm that the tuner.ko module
from the HD-3000 software conflicts with the one from
kernel-module-video4linux-2.6.8-1.521.

So, I removed the HD-3000 card and installed a PVR-250
in its slot.  I regressed the system back to the point where
the single PVR-350 card was successfully running, by restoring
/etc/modprobe.conf, issuing depmod, etc.  I ran MythTV and
verified the system worked as before the HD-3000.

Now, upon booting the system, I get the following errors.
They both appear in the system log at that time, and the
second one is reproduceable by entering 'modprobe ivtv-fb'.

FATAL: Error inserting ivtv_fb
(/lib/modules/2.6.8-1.521/updates/drivers/media/video/ivtv-fb.ko):
Operation not permitted

Nov 15 16:25:52 mythtvxx kernel: ivtv-osd: Specified card (id 0) is
either not present or does not support TV out

The system now ignores the PVR-350 card for any output.  Of course
it would, since there is no ivtv-fb loaded.  After installing the PVR-250,
I ran mythtvsetup and set what I thought were the correct values:

  /dev/video1 and /dev/vbi1

I can capture video from both /dev/video0 and /dev/video1, but everything
plays on the monitor and the onboard sound.  Nothing goes out through
the PVR-350.  The PVR-350's tuner does work, since I can capture video
from it and play it back with mplayer.

What could be blocking the modprobe of ivtv-fb ?  Any ideas ?

After a Google search for the error messages, the only thing I found
was that this seemed to be a bug at one time, but that it was fixed
in September.  My kernel-module-ivtv is pre2_ck100zz.  And it can't
be a bug - it's got to be something I've done wrong or failed to do right.

--
MM