[mythtv-users] Want to be sure which PCI nVidia cards supportXvMC...

potuncle at enjoyingeugene.com potuncle at enjoyingeugene.com
Mon Nov 15 21:50:28 UTC 2004

> On Monday 15 November 2004 12:51, potuncle at enjoyingeugene.com wrote:
>> I am looking for a XvMC video card so I can play HDTV content on my 2.6
>> MHz Asus Pundit without using 100% of CPU. I only have a PCI slot
>> avaiable
>> and am unsure which Nvidia GeForce cards support XvMC. I am assuming the
>> GeForce2 MX400 does not, but think the GeForce MX4000 might, and I am
>> pretty sure that the FX5200 does. Please let me know if I am correct
>> about
>> the MX400, MX4000 and FX5200.
>
> FX5200 and MX4000 definitely do, not sure about the GF2MX, but I wouldn't
> get
> one of those anyhow. I spent $40 on an FX5200, and as others have said, it
> is
> indeed a bit smoother for HD than a GF4MX (or MX4000). I'd get the FX
> 5200.
>
> --
> Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
> jcw at wilsonet.com

Thanks! Now I guess I just have to decide which FX5200 to get.
Unfortunately , it looks like PCI cards cost almost double of AGP ones, so
I'm looking at about $70.

I'd like one that does not have a fan because of noise, but I'm not sure
about the overheating issue. Considering that I'm only using the card for
XvMC and not 3d games, would the heat produced really require a fan.

I know Jarod reccomends the Chaintech, but unfortunately it has a rather
loud fan (replacable with a quieter fan or possible fanless heatsink):
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-145-055&depa=1
My other choice is a Gainward (who I've never heard of) that has no fan:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-128-163&depa=1

Quality of the S-video out does matter since I'm going to be using it
until I can afford a HDTV TV.

Thanks,

Jason