[mythtv-users] Making Sure XvMC is working

Tom E. Craddock, Jr. sigtom at sigtom.com
Mon Nov 15 04:40:50 UTC 2004

Paul Andreassen wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 12:54, Tom E. Craddock, Jr. wrote:
>

>>Ive been reading thru the lists and read that when XvMC is enabled,
>>people are seeing black and white OSD which flickers...now that doesnt
>>happen to me so Im not sure its enabled.  Ive chosed Bob as the
>>deinterlace filter, and checked the box for Xv as well, and when I start
>>mythfrontend, I see it says using XV port 145....but nothing about XvMC,
>>nothing in the backend log eitther.  I am using the 6629 Nvidia Drivers,
>>FX5700LE card on FC2 following Jarods guide, all updated from
>>Atrpms.net, and in my Xorg log it says 'Loading extension
>>XVideo-MotionCompensation' so I assume that means that X is loading the
>>XvMC extensions...Im just at a loss as to how to get this working, if it
>>isnt already, in Myth.  Im trying to see if using XvMC will help in
>>playback from my pcHDTV card on an XP2000+ AMD CPU, as Ive seen others
>>post that they are able to do so using a Celeron+XvMC+5200 Nvidia card
>>(Im getting prebuffering pauses, seems like it COULD play it back if it
>>had a bit more chutzpah to it which I hope XvMC will add).  Sorry if Im
>>adding to the confusion on the list, but I havent found a definitive way
>>to check that XvMC is working in MythTV.  If you need anymore info,
>>please let me know.
>>

>Hi Tom,
>
>As far as I know, the black and while OSD is for VIA XvMC and not
>Nvidia.  I know XvMC is working on my VIA CLE266 Epia-M10000 because the
>cpu time goes from 100% to 15%.
>
>Paul

Paul,

Yes, I wouldve thought that I wouldve seen some drop in CPU usage if
XvMC is working, and I see no drop....it stays steadily ~98-100%
whenever I watch anything from my pcHDTV3k card in Myth, Live TV or
recorded shows....but if I watch TV thru xine, or any .nuv files
captured on the card thru xine, and use the -V xvmc switch with xine, I
see a drop to down around 58%, not a HUGE loss, but enough my uneducated
mind could hope that it would be playable thru Myth that way
then....thanks for the info about the Epia ad XvMC/B&W issues....now I
know I can stop looking for it each time lol....anyone else have any
tips for ensuring XvMC is working in Myth?  Just to add to the above,
this is running MythTV from Atrpms, I believe its the 0.16.20 version in
Axels repository (built 11/12/04 it says), and all needed nvidia drivers
and kernel modules for 6629, the most recent version.

Tom

Tom