[mythtv-users] Re: PVR350 sound output not working after upgrade

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Sun Nov 14 18:58:24 UTC 2004

I've no clue on what your problem is, but, the alsa sound system drove
me crazy for at least a week.  Check these:

#alsaconf
- should be able to detect your sound hardware
- will write changes to your /etc/modules.conf file, then attempts to
save the configuration with 'rcalsasound start'.  rcalsasound does not
exist on my box, so I did it manually, with:

#alsamixer
- shows you what the mixer setting are.  Make sure the MM's at the top
of the volume sliders aren't set (MM = mute left, mute right).  Press m
to unmute as needed.  Escape to exit alsamixer.  Then:

#alsactl store
#alsactl restore

To test from X (startx), open a console and try xmms (a very common
music player in linux).  It should play mp3's.

I don't know if your box needs all this, but it made it work for me.
Good luck,
Don